Friday, August 31, 2007

The Carlyle's First Home

To Mrs. Carlyle, Scotsbrig.

21, Comley Bank,[Edinburgh]

9 Dec., 1826.


My dear Mother - I must not let this Letter go without adding my "be of good cheer." You would rejoice to see how much better my Husband is than when we came hither. And we are really very happy; and when he falls upon some work, we shall be still happier. Indeed I should be very stupid or very thankless, if I did not congratulate myself every hour of the day on the lot which it has pleased Providence to assign me. My Husband is so kind! so, in all respects, after my own heart! I was sick one day, and he nursed me as well as my own Mother could have done, and he never says a hard word to me - unless I richly deserve it. We see great numbers of people here, but are always most content alone. My Husband reads then, and I read or work, or just sit and look at him, which I really find as profitable an employment as any other. God bless you and my little Jean, whom I hope to see at no very distant date.
Ever affectionately yours,


JANE B. WELSH


-from New Letters and Memorials of Jane Welsh Carlyle (London: John Lane, 1893) p. 17.

No comments: