Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Inc. & Ink

[Dashiell Hammett to Alfred A. Knopf Inc.]

20 December 1930, Hollywood, California

Gentlemen,
I am returning your invoice for excess corrections on The Glass Key.

These corrections were made necessary by someone in your editorial department who, with unlimited amounts of time, energy, and red ink at his disposal, simply edited the Jesus out of my MS.

Mrs. Knopf may remember that I spoke to her about this at the time. In any case, if you'll take a look at the MS, which I think is still in your hands, you'll see you're very lucky I haven't billed you for the trouble I was put to unediting it.

Sincerely yours,
Dashiell Hammett


-from Selected Letters of Dashiell Hammett 1921-1960 edited by Richard Layman with Julie M. Rivett; introduction by Josephine Hammett Marshall (Washington, D. C.: Counterpoint, 2001.) p. 56.

No comments: