Saturday, May 19, 2007

L. M. Montgomery's Resolutions

Cavendish, P. E. Island
Can.

Wednesday Evening
January 8, 1908.

My Dear Mr. McMillan:


Now for your letter:-

"When shall we be able to carry out our good resolutions?"

The "next day after never" dear friend. Be wise, like me, and give up making resolutions. It is a sign of extreme youth, which you ought to have left behind in your teens. . . If, however, you want to make New Year Resolutions here are some differing from the common or grander kind in that they are not hard to keep.

  1. I will not lose my temper but only mislay it occasionally.

  2. I will never repeat gossip save to a trustworthy person.

  3. I will try to improve other people's minds.

  4. I will not get into anger if I can help it.

  5. I will be kind and amiable when I feel like it.

  6. I will try to bear other people's misfortunes with equanimity.

  7. I will be cheerful when everything is going right.

  8. I will go to church regularly on fine Sundays.

  9. I will not tell anybody that he has a cold.

  10. I will not growl at the weather when it is fine.

Bon Voyage to you through '08.

Very Sincerely yours,



L. M. Montgomery



-from My Dear Mr. M: Letters to G. B. MacMillan from L. M. Montgomery edited by Francis W. P. Bolger and Elizabeth R. Epperly (Toronto: Oxford University Press, 1992) p.35

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! What a fabulous idea for a blog! I'll be back.

Pepys (r.p.m.) said...

So glad you enjoy Letters. I do too. Many thanks.